Thursday, August 6, 2009

Beijing

This is truly a massive city. The smog is ever-present, alleviated only minimally yesterday by a brief rain shower. There are people everywhere, all the time. I think we've only seen a small portion of it, and yet I am impressed by how it just goes on and on, street after street, building after building. Non-descript 60 story buildings are everywhere, as are very interesting bits of architecture. Traffic is like nothing you've ever seen; yes volume is high at all hours of the day, but rules are more like guidelines. Bikers between lanes into oncoming traffic. Pedestrians, bikers, cars, and buses, all merging and tangoing for precious space. Our walks to dinner and supermarket only involve one street crossing, but they must be approached with maximum alertness.

No, these pictures don't have much to do with the topic, but I'm limited in what I can only attach to each post. To use my space, and since I don't have any scenic vistas yet, I'll add this one that Seth took of his Mama the morning we got him, and one that Josie took, I think, at Civil Affairs, which features only my foot on the right, and Seth and Josie in the far background (the ubiquitous yellow shirt).

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen DonaldsonAugust 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM

    Kathleen, I have only know you about 6 years, and I am so glad to finally see that SMILE on your face! Your heart is full and your picture has brought me to tears. I am so happy you finally have a son! Thank you, Lord Almighty!

    ReplyDelete